OCQG General Meeting Minutes March 12, 2020
The meeting was called to order by Vice-President, Meralee Wilson at 1 p.m.
- Membership was reminded to turn off cell phones during the meeting.
- Rogue Valley Show, May 8 – 9 in Grants Pass.
- Azalea Quilt Guild Show, Brookings, May 23 – 24. Entry open until April 27th.
Correction was made to the February General Meeting Minutes, Twy started Documentation in 2000 with quilts made before 1960. Jackie Stankey moved to accept the minutes as corrected. Motion was seconded by Renee Dickerson and passed by a voice vote of the membership.
Twy Hoch announced the next Quilt Documentation will be in Newport on June 13th.
Veterans’ Quilts Project
Twy Hoch reported that there will be a presentation of quilts to Veterans on March 20th in Waldport at Bayshore at 1 p.m. There will be a Sew-In at Bayshore on March 27th.
Karen Oetjen reported that Finishing School will be March 4th from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Carriage House, Newport.
2020 Raffle Quilt
Roseanne Burton reported that Quilt ticket envelopes are ready for pick up. 101 tickets were sold at Family Fabrics in Waldport. Quilt is currently on display at Quilters Cove, Newport. Let the committee know if you are able to take quilt to other shows.
Jean Amundson reported that members can sign up with her or Velma Freudenthal. The challenge will honor the 1920 Election which permitted women to vote in every state. The quilts are to be turned in at the June meeting in a brown paper bag.
Small Quilt Auction
Jean Amundson reminded the membership that there will be a Small Quilt Auction at the Quilt Show with half of the donation to go to a local 501c3. Talk with Jean for further information.
Maria Hunter reported 64 members present, 3 guests and a current membership of 190.
Jane Szabo and Janet DeSau announced that there will be a Paperless Paper Piecing Workshop on May 15th, sign-up at the table. Next month program will be presented by Marilyn Forestell.
2021 Guild Retreat
Georgia Sabourin reported sign-up will start at the May membership meeting. Dates for the Retreat are February 2nd – 5th and the Willamette Valley Quilt Festival in Albany is February 5th. Information will be available in April.
2020 Quilt Show
Darcy de la Rosa reminded the group that space is still available on the committee sign-up sheet.
Leaders still needed are Demonstrations, Outdoor Signs, Parking, Set-Up Assistant, Treasure Hunt,
Clear Out Coordinator, Set-Up Assistant, Table Coordinator. See Darcy to sign-up.
Quilt Show Kick-Off Meeting will be next Thursday, Marcy 19th at 1:15 p.m. following the Executive
Sue Stephenson reported that she received a Thank You from Sea Shore Literacy. The closet is low on inventory, 50 quilts were delivered last week. Special need for burrito style pillowcases, pattern information on the website.
April General Membership Meeeting
Merralee Wilson announced the April meeting will be a day time meeting, table walk at 12:30 p.m., meeting at 1 p.m. Night meetings start in May.
Janet DeSau introduced Cynthia Brunz from Eugene who presented a very informative program on “scrap quilting”. She learned how to quilt from her grandmother who kept a basket of scraps under her sewing machine. Cynthia shared her method of baskets of scraps by color and said colors influence her quilts. She reminded us that “Quilting is More Fun Than Hosuework”.
Teecia Cornelius reported next month fabric, April Showers.
S.A.B.L.E. drawing winners were Janet Sylvester, Pam Grindell, Jan McQueen, Lana Preiz and Meralee Wilson.
Drawings and Prizes
- Extra Drawings – Darcy de la Rosa won a candle.
- Cynthia Block won by Rosanne Burton and Nan Scott
- Nifty Notions was Jumbo Clips won by Elda-Lee Carnes.
- Quilters Surprise was a Thread Spool Clock won by Linda Patrick.
- Rec Center Quilts
Debbie Mosley has requested Animal Quilts for hanging in May.
Block of the Month
- Cyndie Wenz reported Hop Scotch Block next month.
- Drawing of Hearts Squares – winners Pam Grindell and Marylynn Kleeman
Show and Share
- Cyndie Wenz showed a Quilters tote bag in shades of orange.
- Jane Szabo shared a Sewing Machine Cover, a Black and White Music Quilt that was made for the PAC auction and a Weather baby quilt top.
- MaryLynn Kleemen showed a President’s Day Silhouette wall hanging.
- Judy McCoy shared a Baby Quilt in purples and green.
- Cindy McEntee showed her Elephant “John” quilt that she made for her Grandson and a Scrap Quilt made from bright African Fabric.
- Twy Hoch shared a Veterans Quilt Wall Hanging made from one of the Challenge squares.
- Twy Hoch, Nan Scott and AnneMarie Kent showed their sweatshirt creations.
- Maria Hunter shared a reusable shopping bag, a beautiful Indian Horse quilt, a multicolored patch quilt and an Elizabeth Hartman many colors quilt top.
- Dolores Thomas showed a Sand, Surf and Sun embroidered and appliqued quilt for the Small Quilt Auction.
- Penni Myers shared an Old Fashioned Quilt and a bag made in shades of blue.
- Teecia Cornelius showed an Eastern Oregon Horsey Quilt.
- The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Marian Brown, co-Secretary OCQG