2019 OCQG General Meeting Minutes


OCTOBER 10,2019

The meeting was called to order at 1 p.m. by President, Diane Tillotson.

Lisa Taylor presented a check for $614.95, representing half of the small quilts auction fund, to Nancy Mitchell, Lincoln County Food Share Director.  Nancy thanked the guild members and shared that the guild has given $2737 since 2013 which represents 13,685 pounds of food which has fed 6,000 families.  


Shirley Gilmore moved for acceptance of the September General Meeting minutes.  Motion was seconded by Jan McQueen and passed by a voice vote.

2020 Quilt Show Item

2020 Guild Challenge ideas should be presented at the Executive Board meeting next week.  The person making the challenge lays out the rules.  The finished Challenge Pieces are turned in at the June General Membership Meeting in a brown paper bag.  Voting on the quilts will take place at the June and July General Membership Meeting.  Challenge Quilts are hung at the Quilt Show.

2021 Raffle Quilt Ideas

Melissa Hollenbeck presented an idea including a Whale/Sail Boats/Sunrise.  Melissa will head up the Raffle Quilt committee and see it thru to completion.  The membership accepted her Raffle Quilt Idea by a voice vote.

2020 Officers & Committee Chairs – Meralee Wilson announced that the Secretary position needs to be filled.  The Committee Chair/Volunteer sign-up is available and everyone is encouraged to check it out and sign-up.  Committee Chairs need to be able to attend Executive Board meetings on the third Thursday of the  month from 10 a.m – 11:30 a.m.


Veterans Quilts – Ginger Dale reported that 25 members participated last month at the Bayshore Veterans Workshop and 21 Quilt Tops were made.  Next Friday, October 18th there will be a Veterans Workshop at Atonement Lutheran from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. to finisih the quilts.  Plan to attend, bring a sack lunch, snacks and coffee will be provided.

Membership – Ruth Johnson reported 70 members present with 4 visitors and 1 new member, Linda Patrick from Seal Rock. Membership total to date is 208.  Ruth thanked her table helpers.

Community Quilters – Sue Stephenson reminded members that there is a label inside the community quilts bag that should be sewn on each quilt.  The label includes names of people who made the quilt.

To date 308 quilts have been distributed.

Programs/Workshops – Janet DeSau reported that tomorrow the Mr. Domestic Pillow Top workshop will be held, there are still some spaces available.  Program next month will be “teachable techniques”.

2020 Guild Retreat – Georgia Sabourin reported there are 7 on waiting list.


Mathew Boudreaux, better known as Mr. Domestic presented a delightful, fun filled program about quilting.  His goal is to spread joy and positivity through sewing and fabric play.  He repeatedly told the group to “let go to find joy”.  He personally found “his joy” when he became a father.  He reminded everyone that it’s nearly impossible to be 100% perfect, so strive for 95% with no flaw and the remaining 5% is your design choice.  Mr. Domestic has a large following on Facebook and You Tube and is a Fabric Designer for Art Gallery Fabrics.  He enjoys most types of quilting, including improv piecing and fabric weaving.  He brought a lot of laughter and wonderful ideas to the group and continued to remind everyone that “quilting is a Journey of Joy”.

Show and Share

Florence Roberts from the Lincoln City Quilting Group shared a Jelly Roll quilt that can be made in a day. These quilts are given to the Homeless Kids in Lincoln City High School along with a pillowcase.  The group has a goal of 400 Quilts!

  • Paulette Stenberg shared a purple and white embroidered table runner.
  • Judy McCoy showed an Hawaiian Quilt named Pua Melia in green with a white plumeria flower.
  • Lisa Taylor shared a Baby Quilt that will be given to Community Quilts.
  • Judy Line showed an orange and black Pinwheel Quilt.
  • Diane Tillotson shared a Mickey Mouse Baby Quilt.
  • Twy Hoch showed a quilt made with garden blocks in black and bright colors.
  • Veterans Quilts from Bayshore Sew-In, there were 21 tops done at the workshop and they are all “movingly beautiful”.

Quilters Surprise – Debbie Mosley

Lana Pries won Natures Touch Batting.

Nifty Notions – Debbie Mosley

Pat Laub won pins and a needle puller.

SABLE – Georgia Sabourin announced that next month is Jewel Tones fabric

Winners of the Halloween Materials were Lisa Hall and Toni Brodie

Block of the Month – Meralee Wilson

  • Table Runner Blocks were won by Pat Laub, Judy Line and Ann Fletcher
  • Next Month – “Ornaments” – 12:00 (noon) class before General Membership Meeting
  • Meeting was adjourned at 2:50 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Marian Brown, Secretary OCQG