Meeting Minutes for August 9 General Meeting
OREGON COASTAL QUILTERS GENERAL MEETING AUGUST 9. 2018
The meeting was called to order at 6 p.m. by President, Phoebe Hein.
Joan Johnson moved for acceptance of the July General Membership minutes. Motion was seconded by Jan McQueen. Membership in attendance voted to accept the minutes.
- President, Phoebe Hein gave a big “Thank You” to the guild members for the very successful Quilt Show. Phoebe said it was very special and moving to walk Veterans into the hall for their quilt presentation and said one of the most important parts of the Quilt Show is visiting with guild members.
- Phoebe reminded the membership that Committee Budgets are due at the September meeting.
- Quilt Show Participation Labels are available for pick up tonight.
- The 2019 Raffle Quilt needs a name, please give your ideas to Jane Szabo or Cindy McEntee. The winner will receive 18 Raffle Tickets.
- Outreach Funds – Thank You’s were received from, Latimer Center, Ocean Beaches 4-H Club and Coffee Creek Quilters.
- Shirley Bowles from Springfield, Oregon was the lucky winner of the 2018 Raffle Quilt “Ocean In Motion”. Shirley is a member of the Emerald Valley Guild.
- Christmas Placemats are ready for pick-up tonight, remember to bring back for December Potluck
Documentation – Twy Hoch reminded the members that it is a good time to have quilts that were in the show documented.
Nominating – Diane Tillotson reminded members to sign-up to be a committee member.
Community Quilters – Sue Stephenson reported that the Childrens Corner pillows are going to the hospital. Reminded the group that Community Quilters meets the first Thursday at Ruth’s Fabrics in Waldport. There is an urgent need for Tote Bags 2 X 2 with handles for the Seashore Literacy Center. The bags will be given to the children who have completed the after school program and will contain a book, quilt and information on the Guild. Quilt Kits are available for Guild Members to pick up. Jennifer Reinhart received 17 “male themed” quilt tops at the Quilt Show.
State Fair – Twy Hoch reported that the Guild will be putting on a demonstration on Friday,August 31st from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Contact Twy for carpooling and parking passes.
Membership – Ruth Johnson reported there are 76 members and 4 guests at the meeting. There are 45 Quilt Show Books available at the membership table.
Quilt Show – Jean Amundson, Jackie Stankey, Janet Scanlon and Debbie Mosley gave a big THANK YOU to all the Quilt Show committee members and helpers, we had another very successful Quilt Show! For those of you who like statistics (or not), here are the tallies:
The Numbers Game!
- Attendance: 1296
- Number of quilts entered in the show: 238 (169 of which were judged by Kathie Kerler)
- Medieval Elements Challenge Quilts: 12
- Bayshore Friendship Star block exchange quilts: 12
- Veterans Project quilts: 6
- Silent auction quilts: 27
- Guild activities booth quilts: 7
- Placemat display: 59
- Grand total quilts displayed: 302, plus 59 placemats (361)
- Number of raffle tickets sold total, including those sold at the show: 8602 ($7896)
- Silent auction proceeds: $1130 ($565 will be donated to Lincoln County Food Share)
- States outside of Oregon represented by visitors at the show: 17 (tallied)
- Foreign country visitors were from Canada, United Kingdom and Germany(tallied)
- Visitors from Oregon but outside Lincoln County – 402 (tallied)
Featured Quilter – Jennifer Reinhart reported that she had 38 quilts and items in her booth. She also received 17 quilt tops which she will quilt for Community Quilters. A special thank you to Paulette, Janet and Velma for helping with sleeves.
Programs/Workshops – Jennifer Reinhart reminded the guild that it was decided there would be no workshops in 2019. If you want to give feedback please leave it at the workshops table. There is planning for a Barn Block workshop in the fall or spring of 2019. Please contact Jennifer if you are interested, all supplies will be provided. Final payment for Billy Bag workshop in October is due.
September 13th program will be the Portland Modern Quilt Guild with a display from the Sisters Quilt Show. Please bring goodies to share. Judy Niemeyer Mini Retreat October 25,26,27 has 2 slots available. Final payment is due tonight.
The ribbon winners from the 2018 Quilt Show shared their beautiful quilts. It was a feast for the eyes!
2018 Raffle Ticket Sales – Nan Scott announced that Ruth Hutmacher sold 319 tickets and presented her with a beautiful bag that was made by Nan.
Quilters Surprise – Ruth Hutmacher won a pin holder, bag and ornament
Nifty Notions – Chris Benedetti won a Stash’n Stor, Ruler and a mini plaque to decorate.
SABLE – winners were Beverly Hergenrader, Gail Chipman and Carol Nelson next month Nature Fabrics
Block of the Month – winner Ann Flescher
Show & Share
- Jane Szabo shared a block from Corvallis Row by Row in black, white and red.
- Jane Maupin showed a quilt made by Sea Aire residents with the help of guild members. The quilt will be hung on the wall at Sea Aire.
- Anne-Marie Mann shared a modern quilt top and “Tumblers” a black quilt with bright colored squares.
- Next month the rec center quilts will be changed, need fall or assorted fall holiday quilts.
- If you haven’t prepared a reimbursement form, please so do now since the end of the fiscal year is November. Please cash checks promptly.
- Veterans blocks to sew are available.
- Marie Hansen’s family lost wheat crop in Eastern Oregon fire, please keep them in your thoughts
- Executive Board Meeting – Aug 18th, 10-11:30 a.m. at Carriage House
- Quilt Show Wrap Up Meeting – Aug 18th, 1:30 p.m. at Carriage House
- Community Quilters – Sept 6th @ Ruth’s in Waldport, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Next General Meeting – Sept 13th @ 5:30 p.m. at Atonement Lutheran Church
- Respectfully submitted by Marian Brown, OCQG Secretary