Meeting Minutes

For a printable version please view our Archive Meeting Minutes »

OREGON COASTAL QUILTERS GUILD GENERAL MEETING MINUTES MARCH 12, 2020

The meeting was called to order by Vice-President, Meralee Wilson at 1 p.m.

Announcements

Membership was reminded to turn off cell phones during the meeting.

Rogue Valley Show, May 8 – 9 in Grants Pass.

Azalea Quilt Guild Show, Brookings, May 23 – 24. Entry open until April 27th.

Minutes

Correction was made to the February General Meeting Minutes, Twy started Documentation in 2000 with quilts made before 1960.  Jackie Stankey moved to accept the minutes as corrected.  Motion was seconded by Renee Dickerson and passed by a voice vote of the membership.

Committee Reports

Documentation 

Twy Hoch announced the next Quilt Documentation will be in Newport on June 13th.

Veterans’ Quilts Project

Twy Hoch reported that there will be a presentation of quilts to Veterans on March 20th in Waldport at Bayshore at 1 p.m.  There will be a Sew-In at Bayshore on March 27th.

Finishing School

Karen Oetjen reported that Finishing School will be March 4th from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Carriage House, Newport.

2020 Raffle Quilt

Roseanne Burton reported that Quilt ticket envelopes are ready for pick up.  101 tickets were sold at Family Fabrics in Waldport.  Quilt is currently on display at Quilters Cove, Newport.  Let the committee know if you are able to take quilt to other shows.

2020 Challenge

Jean Amundson reported that members can sign up with her or Velma Freudenthal.  The challenge will honor the 1920 Election which permitted women to vote in every state.  The quilts are to be turned in at the June meeting in a brown paper bag.

Small Quilt Auction

Jean Amundson reminded the membership that there will be a Small Quilt Auction at the Quilt Show with half of the donation to go to a local 501c3.  Talk with Jean for further information.

Membership

Maria Hunter reported 64 members present, 3 guests and a current membership of 190.

Workshops

Jane Szabo and Janet DeSau announced that there will be a Paperless Paper Piecing Workshop on May 15th, sign-up at the table.  Next month program will be presented by Marilyn Forestell.

2021 Guild Retreat

Georgia Sabourin reported sign-up will start at the May membership meeting.  Dates for the Retreat are February 2nd – 5th and the Willamette Valley Quilt Festival in Albany is February 5th.  Information will be available in April.

2020 Quilt Show

Darcy de la Rosa reminded the group that space is still available on the committee sign-up sheet.

Leaders still needed are Demonstrations, Outdoor Signs, Parking, Set-Up Assistant, Treasure Hunt,

Clear Out Coordinator, Set-Up Assistant, Table Coordinator.  See Darcy to sign-up.

Quilt Show Kick-Off Meeting will be next Thursday, Marcy 19th at 1:15 p.m. following the Executive

Board Meeting.

Community Quilters

Sue Stephenson reported that she received a Thank You from Sea Shore Literacy.  The closet is low on inventory, 50 quilts were delivered last week.  Special need for burrito style pillowcases, pattern information on the website.

April General Membership Meeeting

Merralee Wilson announced the April meeting will be a day time meeting, table walk at 12:30 p.m., meeting at 1 p.m.  Night meetings start in May.

Program

Janet DeSau introduced Cynthia Brunz from Eugene who presented a very informative  program on “scrap quilting”.  She learned how to quilt from her grandmother who kept a basket of scraps under her sewing machine.  Cynthia shared her method of baskets of scraps by color and said colors influence her quilts.  She reminded us that “Quilting is More Fun Than Hosuework”.

S.A.B.L.E.

Teecia Cornelius reported next month fabric, April Showers.

S.A.B.L.E. drawing winners were Janet Sylvester, Pam Grindell, Jan McQueen, Lana Preiz and Meralee Wilson.

Drawings and Prizes

  • Extra Drawings – Darcy de la Rosa won a candle.
  • Cynthia Block won by Rosanne Burton and Nan Scott
  • Nifty Notions was  Jumbo Clips won by Elda-Lee Carnes.
  • Quilters Surprise was a Thread Spool Clock won by Linda Patrick.

Rec Center Quilts

Debbie Mosley has requested Animal Quilts for hanging in May.

Block of the Month

Cyndie Wenz reported Hop Scotch Block next month.

Drawing of Hearts Squares – winners Pam Grindell and Marylynn Kleemann.

Show & Share

  • Cyndie Wenz showed a Quilters tote bag in shades of orange.
  • Jane Szabo shared a Sewing Machine Cover, a Black and White Music Quilt that was made for the PAC auction and a Weather baby quilt top.
  • MaryLynn Kleemen showed a President’s Day Silhouette wall hanging.
  • Judy McCoy shared a Baby Quilt in purples and green.

Minutes of the Oregon Coastal Quilt Guild Board Meeting (via Zoom)

June 18, 2020

The meeting was called to order by President Diane Tillotson at 10:06 A.M. There were 22 members in attendance.

OLD BUSINESS

Debbie Mosley made a motion to accept the minutes of the May meeting as published via the Guild Blog. Nan Scott seconded. Motion carried by unanimous hand vote.

Jean Amundson reminded the Board that the Latimer Center requested the blue ribbon winning quilts from the 2020 quilt show to display at the Center. Since the show has been canceled this year, there will be no quilts to display. She suggested we propose offering the 2020 Challenge quilts instead. Rose Shaw moved to contact Latimer with that suggestion. Maria Hunter seconded. Motion carried by unanimous hand vote. Jean will contact Latimer to see if they are interested and will also ask for a bigger display opportunity in the future.  

NEW BUSINESS

Treasurer’s Report: Janet Sylvester has had 2 requests to refund vendor deposits for the (canceled) quilt show, but did not know if she could release the funds without the proper request forms. She is waiting for the names and addresses of the 2 vendors and will request the forms when she receives the information from Kathleen Ritzman.

She also wants to share the Quilters Hall of Fame letter via blog for members to read.

President Diane mentioned that because of the Covid 19 outbreak in Newport, the September meeting date is in question. Phoebe reminded everyone that the church dictates when/if the meetings can occur in their building. Nan Scott suggested a daytime Zoom meeting instead of an on-site meeting. Jean thought it could be a Show and Share only without any regular business. The idea is to keep members connected in a fun way. Becky Mershon would like to show the new clothing items at that meeting. The decision was made to do a Zoom Show and Share  August 13. Rose Shaw made a motion to that effect plus authorization to spend $14.99 per month to keep the Zoom subscription active. Becky Mershon seconded. Motion carried by unanimous hand vote.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

AUDIT:

Gail Chipman and Ellen Germaneri conducted the annual audit and found the books to be in good order with a couple of small exceptions. She said that deposits were greater than the combined funds transfer forms, and 1 expense form did not have a receipt attached. They suggested the Treasurer advise the Audit Committee when expenditures are divided into both Guild Expenses and personal reimbursements from a single receipt. They simplified some audit forms for better clarification. In summary, the Audit Committee commended Janet’s fine job for the Guild.

BLOCK OF THE MONTH: Nothing to report.

CHALLENGE 2020: Jean Amundson said there were 15 quilts submitted for voting and one for display only. Membership voting  is on-going through the Guild website. Nan Scott said 47 members have voted to date.

COMMUNICATIONS:  Nothing to report

COMMUNITY QUILTS: Lindanne Perdue announced that Ruth’s Family Fabrics is closing in July. The storage space in her shop will close with her, so Community Quilts is looking for another storage area, preferably with a workspace for cutting and packaging kits, etc. She said Sue Stephenson had been offered free storage space in Lee Palmer’s building that Sue will check out and report on at the next Board meeting. Sue will also assess the possibility of combining  Community Quilts and Guild Merchandise in the same space. Maria Hunter mentioned that she is going to rent a storage space for herself personally and could share it with the Guild at her expense. Becky Mershon will meet with the Merchandising  Committee to assess their needs. Nan recommended a combined storage/workroom over a storage-only space.  

DOCUMENTATION:

Toni Brodie reported that the June Documentation date was canceled due to Covid 19. The remaining dates for 2020 will be decided upon as they draw nearer.

FINISHING SCHOOL:

Paulette Stenberg said Finishing School is canceled for 2020. However, the Bayshore Challenge was “Baby Quilts” and they plan a walking Show and Share in a church parking lot tomorrow, in compliance with social distancing. The quilts will be donated to a group in Bend.

HOSPITALITY: Nothing to report

LIBRARY: Nothing to report

MEMBERSHIP: Nothing to report

MERCHANDISING: 

Becky Mershon is still awaiting the new Bridge Panels. Printing has been delayed due to Covid 19. She will have a better idea of their storage needs once they are received.  She and her team have visited several small guild groups to show the new merchandise and will continue to meet with small groups upon request.

PROGRAMS AND WORKSHOPS:

Jane Szabo says everything is canceled through August. September’s program is pending. Dawn White’s program has been advanced to April 2021. Peggy Gilbreath is waiting with her program until the Covid-19 meeting ban is lifted.

PUBLICITY:

Jean Amundson has submitted articles to the local paper (published in color) and other venues with more items coming in July. One was to announce the cancelation of the 2020 Quilts by the Sea. One was about the Veterans Quilts program. The July article will be about the 2020 raffle quilt.

QUILTERS SURPRISE: Nothing to report

RAFFLE QUILT 2020:

Jean Amundson reminded the Board that the 2020 raffle quilt drawing must still be carried out on the date printed on the tickets. Maria Hunter suggested it be done in a FaceBook Live format. Roseanne Berton volunteered to contact the church to see if it could be done in their parking lot/grassy play yard area. Janet Sylvester mentioned that the ticket stubs are to go to Phyllis Mitchell, not the Guild’s post office box. Either Roseanne or Phyllis will submit an article to Melissa for the Guild Blog.

RAFFLE QUILT 2021:

Melissa Hollenbeck said the quilt is currently at Lisa Taylor’s being quilted. She praised Jean Amundson for the great job she did on the whale’s eye and facial details. She had a photo of it to share with the Board.

RETREAT 2021:

Georgia Sabourin said the committee is keeping the same dates in February (Feb 2-5) to coincide with the Willamette Valley Quilt Festival. To date, 55 members have signed up to attend.

SABLE: Currently on hold.

VETERANS QUILT PROJECT:

Rose Shaw said quilts and blocks poured in after the last Blog posting that asked for donations from the membership. She has made or will make trips to all areas of the county to deliver quilts to Veterans this month. After the Veterans Quilt article was published In the paper, she received 8 more requests. If anyone receives a FaceBook request, they should send it to a committee member, none of whom do FaceBook. They now need more quilts, tops, blocks, machine quilting and embroidered labels. The shelves are bare. She has been advised to expect 40 more quilt requests soon. The ideal size for these quilts is approximately 50” x 70.” Anything less is too small. She was advised that Quilters Cove needs more block kits to distribute.

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Velma Freudenthal says the Oregon Quilt Project is now finished. Our group can still add to the Quilt Index in the future when we continue our documentations.

Jane Szabo will research the idea of allowing ads on our FaceBook page.

Contact Meralee Wilson with nominations for next year’s officers.  They include President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. She will contact the current officers to see if they will volunteer to serve another year.

Next Executive Board Meeting via Zoom: July 16 at 10:00 A.M.

Meeting adjourned 11:35 A.M.

Respectfully submitted by Toni Brodie, Co-Secretary