September 2019 OCQG General Meeting Minutes
The meeting was called to order at 6 p.m. by President, Diane Tillotson.
Diane announced that the memorial service for Phyllis Mitchell’s husband Gordon will be on September 21st at the Church of the Nazarene in Newport at 1 p.m.
Debbie Mosley moved for acceptance of the August General Meeting minutes. Motion was seconded by Twy Hoch and passed by a voice vote.
Merchandising – Becky Mershon announced that Dennis McGregor has agreed to do a new image for the Quilt Guild’s 30th Anniversary in 2021. Dennis has done the previous artwork for the guild and has agreed to the new art piece for the same price $3,800. In order to have the design items ready for the 2020 Quilt Show the order needs to be placed now with a down payment of 50% which equals $1900. Total cost will be $3800 and the balance due will be included in the 2020 budget. Joan Johnson moved that the Guild commission Dennis McGregor to design a new art piece to be used by the Guild and that $1900 be paid as a down payment. Motion was seconded by Sandy Lane and passed by a voice vote.
Nominating Committee – Meralee Wilson reported that sign-ups for committees will be at the October meeting and encourages everyone to consider being a committee chair. Talk to Meralee or current chairpersons to get further information about the committees.
Veterans Workshop – Ginger Dale reported that Saturday, September 21st there will be a workshop at Bayshore to make veterans quilts featuring the challenge medallions and everyone is encouraged to participate. Pins and ribbons from the Quilt Show can be picked up today. Everyone that has worked on a Veterans quilt can pick up a pin. The next Veterans workshop will be Friday, October 21st at Atonement Lutheran Church. Bring your sewing machine and come for a day of fun work. There are currently 41 Veterans on the quilt list. September 29th there will be 7-8 quilts presented at the 10am service at Atonement Lutheran Church. In November 15 quilts will be given out on Veteran’s Day.
Finishing School – Paulette Stenberg reminded everyone that finishing school is a great time to work on projects and meet new people. You can come and just enjoy the fellowship, no project is required.
Membership – Gail Chipman reported 83 members present, 2 guests and l new member, Julia Bostwick.
Directory Update – Nan Scott shared how to use the online membership directory. If you need help, contact Nan. Please remember the password is not to be shared.
Programs/Workshops – Janet DeSau reported that next month the program will be Mister Domestic with “Let Go” – How to find joy in quilting. There will be a workshop on Saturday, October 11th at Atonement starting at 10am. Cost is $30.
2020 Guild Retreat – Georgia Sabourin reminded everyone that today is the last day for the $50 nonrefundable deposit. There are 5 on the waiting list.
Quilt Show – Darcy de la Rosa reported the labels for quilts displayed at the Quilt Show have arrived and can be picked up at the membership table.
Janet DeSau, Jane Szabo and Christine Benedetti presented “Sometimes A Great Notion”. Jane gave an informative and light hearted presentation on the movie that was filmed in Lincoln County starring Paul Newman and Henry Fonda, the song Good Night Irene and a list of benefits from daily quilting.
- A raffle filled with Notions followed:
- LED Daylight Sewing Light – $137 – Nancy’s Notion/winner Linda Bice
- Wool Ironing Mat – $40 – Sew Hound/winner Nan Scott
- LED Light Pad – $21 – Amazon/winner Meralee Wilson
- Cutting Edge Ruler – $14 – Missouri Star Quilt Co/winner Julia Bostwick
- Roll N Press – $13 – Sew Hound/winners Joann Simpson and Janet Sylvester
- Hot Ruler – $12 – JoAnn’s/winner Jackie Stankey
- Jelly Roll Sasher – $10.25 – Sew Hound/Cindy Wenz
- Stash N Store – $10 – Craft Warehouse/Rose Shaw
- Lighted Magnetic Wand – $9 – Amazon/Fran Whited
- Fons and Porter Ripper – $6 – Joann’s/Dolores Wagner
- Wonder Clips – $2.75 – Sew Hound/Beth Nicholson and Ann Flescher
- Steam A Seam – $4.50 – Sew Hound/Marylynn Kleeman and Nancy Blanck
- Magnetic Parts Tray – $4.30 – Fred Meyer/Marilyn Workman
- Snap N Store – $1.66 – Craft Warehouse/Bev Hergenrader, Marian Brown, Teecia Cornelius, Jean Amundson
- Magic Sizing – $.97 – Walmart/Pat Laub and Joan Johnson
- A fun time was had by all as the “Great Notions” were passed out. The program committee reminded the membership that daytime meetings start in October.
- Quilters Surprise – Debbie Mosley
- Betty Jones won an Ott Lite.
- Nifty Notions – Debbie Mosley
- Nancy Cross won a Super Best Press and bottle of water
- SABLE – Teecia Cornelius – next month Halloween Fabric
- winners – Lana Pries, Sally Vraspir, Toni Brodie, Joy Johnson and Sheila Stevenson.
- Block of the Month – Meralee Wilson reported the new block is a Leaf Pattern. Wool ornaments class will be given before the October meeting at 12 noon. 3 Table Runners – winners Ann Flescher, Beverly Ohngren and Liz Morrow.
- Show & Share
- Jane Szabo shared two Sensory Quilts (Fidget Quilts) that she made for Community Quilts
- Libby Coulton shared a Block of the Month from Grandmas Attic and a quilt in orange and greens.
- Rose Shaw shared a Sea Star Table Runner and multi colored placemats
- Dolores Thomas shared a Christmas Table Runner with bling, two table runners and 2 table toppers from 60 degree cuts out of border prints
- Jackie Stankey shared a mini pineapple quilt
- Toni Brodie showed a 13 block quilt from Ann Davis Stash, will be sold in boutique next year for Ann Davis Memorial Scholarship Fund. Shared a teal/green/gray and white quilt made for her daughter-in-law
- Maria Hunter shared a Japanese Quilt and an Asian Quilt in reds and blacks for her dad
- Paulette Stenberg showed a bright colored Taco Night 3 Quilt made for family gathering and a Jack Dempsey, Trailer pattern quilt made for her sister that has a BIG RV
- Meeting was adjourned at 7:25.
- Executive Board Meeting 9/19 – 10-11:30am at Carriage House
- Veterans Workshop 9/20 – 10am-4pm at Bayshore, Waldport
- Finishing School – 9/26 – 10am-4pm at Carriage House
- Community Quilters 10/3 – 11am-3pm at Family Fabrics, Waldport
- Documentation 9/14 – 9:30am-3:30pm at Carriage House
- General Membership Meeting 10/10 at Atonement Lutheran Church, Newport
- Table Walk 12:30pm / General Meeting 1:00pm
- Respectfully submitted by Marian Brown, Secretary OCQG